Sunday, December 18, 2011

it's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine

Sooooo it is the end of my 1st semester of Graduate School and I made it through... It was intense, amazing, awful, crazy, sexy & cool..or was that me?


So here's what I have learned...(not necessarily in any specific order)


A)I stress about my grades!

Why an A- !? WHY?!!!
I must admit that I am more than a little obsessive and therefor disappointed in myself over the fact that I do not end it with perfect grades. 
Why does this really irk me? 
 1. I am a perfectionist (about most things)
 2. I have a fear of A-'s (ever since my 1st
    undergraduate art history class, where I got
    my 1st A-, this is when I really started to 
    care about what I was studying,not primarily
    my grades & worked my ass off to raise my
    GPA)
3.  Making up for all the previous school years 
    of coasting through without ever really
    trying,even being placed on academic 
    probation & could have cared less about 
    learning or grades as long as I passed.
What to do about it?
Stop whining & start working harder! 
Read more Theory!


B) I don't like talking about myself... so I am not very good at it when I need to be...like during critiques or when people ask what I do. I think I bore others and myself talking...my art is about this..and my art is about that.... UGGGHHHHH!!! Do they have a class that's called "Kick Ass Art Talk to Wow All"?



C) Yeah...I'm really just a sensitive artist. Perpetrating like I am the hardest. I need to develop a thicker skin!!! Won't be defined by failures! Take more chances!!!  Work! Work! Work! Pure ENERGY!(Thanks Jerry Saltz for coming to South FL & reminding me. XXO XXO)



D) Be more open to listen & learn without judgement of self or others.


E) All night passion get's me through the day.


F) I am enjoying Miami yet do not feel truly connected...more like a visitor. Which is all my own doing, as I have been in limbo...between Palm Beach & Miami, the past & the present, the old & the new, the comfort zone & the danger zone... I don't want to let go... but I don't want to miss out. 


G) Everything is coming full circle as far as my interest in materials. I started as a graphic design student and ditched that after my 1st semester in undergrad... but now I am designing more regularly(for my job & myself). Drawing has always been my main gig since childhood...until life painting circa 2007. I haven't drawn very much if at all since, but have a strong desire to do so again. So I signed up for graduate drawing to work on a collaborative drawing project which I'm super excited about.


Overall my 1st semester is equivalent to a roller coaster ride complete with up's & down's, twists & turns, tears & jeers... which I suspect will continue throughout till the very end.
Admittedly I have always loved the most adventurous of coasters. On summer action park vacations, my father & I would be the only one's brave enough to try the one's that you stand up in, go backwards, and even end mid air...fearlessly. So while embarking on this journey, I am going to do what I have always loved to do on those rides... I'm gonna throw my hands up & laugh my ass off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment