Monday, July 02, 2012

ode to a Beach Towel (file under those I adore)

Ode: written in praise of, or dedicated to someone or something which captures the interest or serves as an inspiration for the ode.

I love my visual arts community here in SoFl!!! I have encountered the kindest,coolest,funniest,smartest(I could go on) people that I am ohhh so grateful for on my journey. It's a wonder I have gone on all along without giving props to something I may slightly touch upon in my usual postings. One of my favorite adventures as an artist, which has also become a very import of my process, is to support those(not only artists) I believe in by attending exhibitions/events that they invite me to &/or by participating in their projects when opportunity allows. Here is one of these experiences that I would love to share with you. 

Ohhh & before I forget... 
Here is some info about the project & how you can help support Misael Soto's Beach Towel project if you feel so inclined... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1603066771/the-beach-towel-east-coast-tour
and do it quickly! Please! Thank you!

a little back story... 
Misael is a dear friend. We have known each other for several years as we went to school,worked & graduated together from FAU. Both of us have built strong bonds with those we have encountered there. I am proud to say that we(the regulators)are all actively & passionately pursuing our dreams while continuing to be there for each other, when & however we can be. I am fortunate to have been able to share this moment with him & so many new friends.

The following images share my Beach Towel experience through my obsessive iphone documentative process.

lounging or black jack with new friends 

playfulness

you like my umbrella ella ella eh eh?

 super excitement x2

brief relief & togetherness

what's with this big giant towel Mr Soto?

and now I will play for you

i'll protect you from the sun

reflective moments

i'll tell you, you tell her

put your hands up if you feel love

top right corner group... i got your back

funny fun... yeah!

towel side sangria service... WHUT! WHUT!

dedicated umbrella protection

lounging & looking

snack attack

ice rescue greeting

semi protected dorky self

this is how i roll

from the back right corner

at the foot of the towel

setting up to jam

on and around the towel

the music begins


gotta get a pic of them getting a pic of this

as the sun begins to set

we danced

we jumped

we kicked up our feet

we raised our arms & smiled

yet still some quiet moments around the towel

sharing the sweetness in more ways than one

Needless to say, I believe it is safe to surmise that we all had an amazing day on the Beach TowelAlthough the excitement may have subsided since this Memorial Day Beach Towel adventure, it has not for myself, Misael or those that support his dream to take this on the road & to share with as many people as possible. I really want to see this happen for Misael & all of those he encounters along the way. It is sooo worth it! It is hard for me to not love & support projects like this that allow everyone, not just artists to interact and become a part of something outside of ourselves, while bringing a diverse group of people together. Recently one of my favorite local gallery directors/curators Tyler Emerson-Dorsch said, "Changing the way one sees is no small thing" during a talk at Dorsch Gallery. I am sure that I am not alone in saying that not only does Misael's enormous Beach Towel change how you see, but also how you feel.


This one's for you!
Rod Stewart - Young Turks / Live on TV (American Bandstand) 1981 HD


"We got but one shot of life, 
let's take it while we're 
still not afraid.
Because life is so brief 
and time is a thief 
when you're undecided.
And like a fistful of sand, 
it can slip right through 
your hands." - Rod Stewart
  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a fabulous post with images that captured so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! Was a great time that needed to be shared!

      Delete